This is one of our favorite soups. I’ve had several people ask for the recipe, so I thought it would be a good time to share it on here. (I’m not sure why I haven’t before actually, we make this quite a bit, especially in the fall/winter.) It is similar to Olive Garden’s Zuppa Tuscana soup.
Creamy Potato Soup with Sausage and Kale
– 3-5 links (around 1 1/2 pounds) sausage (mild Italian pork sausage, chicken sausage, sweet/spicy, whatever you like), cut into slices/chunks
– 4-6 slices bacon, diced
– 8-10 small red potatoes or 6 medium russet or golden potatoes (or a mixture), cubed
– 1 medium/large onion, diced
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– 4-5 cups chopped kale
– 8-10 cups chicken broth (chicken stock or water + chicken bullion)
– 1/2 cup heavy cream
– salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, to taste
1. Brown sausage in soup pot until cooked through. Remove from pot and reserve for later.
2. Add bacon bits to pot and cook through.
3. Add diced onion to bacon bits and saute until onion is soft. Add garlic and cook a few minutes longer.
4. Add cubed potatoes and chicken broth.
5. Cover and simmer/boil until potatoes are soft.
6. Once potatoes are done, add in sausage, kale and cream. Stir to combine.
7. Taste and season as needed. (I usually add just a touch of pepper and Italian seasoning, the sausage/bacon/broth tend to make it salty enough already)