I was well into adulthood (well, in my twenties at least) before I’d ever tasted chicken tortilla soup. It quickly became one of Drew and I’s favorite meals. So delicious!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
-1 Tablespoon butter
-1 medium yellow onion, chopped
-3 cloves garlic, minced
-2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
-2 cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
-1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies
-1 can whole kernel corn, or 1 cup frozen corn
-1-2 cups shredded, cooked chicken
-6-8 cups chicken broth
-1 teaspoon chili powder
-1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
-1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
-salt and pepper to taste
-1 medium avocado, cubed
-hot sauce, optional
1. Chop onion and garlic, set aside. Shred chicken. Open cans and drain/rinse beans.
2. In dutch oven or large soup pot (over medium/high heat) melt butter. Add onion and saute for a few minutes. Add garlic and saute for about 30 more seconds.
3. Add in black beans, pinto beans, tomatoes and green chilies, corn, and chicken. Stir.
4. Add 6-8 cups chicken broth (depending on how broth-y you like your soup).
5. Add in spices (chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper).
6. Place lid on the pot and bring to a boil. Soup is done with all ingredients are heated through.
7. Stir in avocado cubes. (note: you can just add these as a topping on individual bowls, but I like to add them into the soup itself. The broth keeps the avocado from turning brown for leftovers.)
8. Serve warm with a generous dollop of sour cream, shredded cheese (I use freshly shredded white cheddar), and tortilla chips! Enjoy!