It is only the beginning of Fall (and still feels like Summer in New Orleans), but I’m already on a soup kick. I just love the warm, cozy, deliciousness of a good bowl of soup. A week or two ago, I posted a recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup, and this recipe I’m sharing today might even beat that one. Not only is this one delicious and gluten-free, but it is also incredibly quick and easy!
We’ve been doing more meal planning ahead of time lately, so we bought a 3-pack of chicken breasts at the beginning of the week, cooked them all (seasoned them and seared on both sides in a cast iron skillet until cooked through), and then kept them in the fridge to use in recipes the rest of the week (like this one). You could also use a rotisserie chicken for this recipe too though if you want to keep it quick and simple without the chicken prep. Perfect for an after-work, weeknight meal.
Simple White Chicken Chili (gluten-free)
Makes about 6 servings, original recipe from here.
– 6 cups chicken broth
– 1-2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded
– 2 (15-oz) cans Great Northern or Navy beans, drained
– 2 cups salsa verde (or one 16-18 oz jar)
– 2 tsp. ground cumin
Toppings: (optional, but delicious)
-crumbled tortilla chips
1. Add chicken broth, shredded chicken, beans, salsa verde and cumin to a medium saucepan and stir to combine.
2. Heat over medium-high heat until boiling, then cover and reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for at least 5 minutes.
3. Serve warm with desired toppings.
P.S. This recipe could easily be adapted to be more of a traditional “tortilla soup” recipe. Use black beans or pinto beans, add in diced tomatoes, corn, whatever you wish!