These seriously are the best fried chicken strips. I came across this recipe from Christy Jordan‘s cookbook Southern Plate a couple years ago when the New Orleans Borders Bookstore was closing. Drew and I were checking out the good deals on books and I started looking through and reading her cookbook and I was hooked! They are pretty much all her family recipes and are great Southern staples. Everything just looks so tasty in there!
If you like yourself a good home-cooked Southern meal, well then go buy this cookbook and get to cooking!
Fried Chicken Strips (also known in her cookbook as Fried Chicken Planks)
makes 4 servings
-4 or 5 Boneless Chicken Breasts
-1 to 2 sleeves saltine crackers
-salt & pepper
1. Pour cooking oil into large skillet to a depth of 1/4 inch. Heat over medium heat while you prepare the chicken.
2. Beat chicken breasts until flattened, between 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch thick.
3. Cut each flattened chicken breast into three strips.
4. Crack eggs into bowl and beat with a fork.
5. Crush the saltine crackers and place in another bowl. Lightly salt and pepper the cracker crumbs.
6. Dip each chicken strip first into the egg mixture, then coat with cracker crumbs. Make sure to coat each piece completely.
7. Drop chicken strips into oil and cook over medium to medium-high heat, turning once, until browned on both sides. (If needed, cut a small slit into the first couple strips to make sure the insides are cooking correctly.)
8. Place on a paper towel lined plate to absorb extra oil.
I often serve this chicken with my Mamaw’s mashed potatoes and gravy, but it is also really great with another of Christy Jordan’s recipes in this cookbook — Comeback Sauce. Comeback Sauce is a Southern classic and is great dip for chicken, fries, etc. (If you are from Louisiana and like Raising Cane’s sauce, this is pretty much exactly the same thing!)
makes 1 cup
-1/2 cup mayonnaise
-1/2 cup ketchup
-1 1/2 Tablespoons ground pepper
1. Stir all ingredients together in a bowl until well blended.
2. Can serve immediately, but is best if refrigerated several hours.